By Peter Amunga.
Ugandan Universities and candidate classes will open after #COVID19 LOCKDOWN.
Here is a summary of President Museven’s address to Uganda
- We have decided to reopen schools for the candidate classes that is P7, S4, S6, finalists in tertiary classes and Universities. We think that it’s safe because the finalists are a much smaller number compared to the total enrolment in these centres.
- Prayers and worships whose numbers don’t exceed 70 are allowed provided they follow SOPs. Night prayers are not allowed.
- Casinos,gaming centres and bars remain closed.
- Open-air activities of sports will be opened provided there are no spectators. We must learn to have games without spectators
- Curfew from 9 pm to 6 am which has been in force will be maintained.
- The International airport will now be opened for tourists coming in and out provided they test negative 72 hours before arriving in Uganda .
7.The government plan for long-distance learning through the provision of the 9 million radios sets is on course, the money is available and those radios will be provided.
- We are aware of the dilemma of the private schools that were operating on money from banks. We have tried to help the teachers from private schools by giving them UGX 20 billion grant for their SACCO. This is a grant, not a loan .
- Ugandan entrepreneurs need to wake up. If there is a crisis of this type they should know how to survive. Stop crying over spilt milk, look for how to survive in the new atmosphere of social distancing.
Compared to Kenya. Our minister in charge is still holding stakeholders meeting and spending tax payers money on perdiems and meetings that do not give any direction. BOM teachers remain unpaid. Private schools have collapsed and the empty promises of goving them subsidies are a mirage.
Generally, it is advisable for any right thinking Kenyan who can afford to seek education for their children outside our borders. This will soon be a failed state when it comes to economy and education.