By Peter Amunga.
BBI report is out. From the face of it, the President remains the chief executive of the country. He will appoint the prime minister and Deputy president. He can also sack them. He will name a cabinet and run government. PM is a supervisor of some sort. The bigger the political party the more funding from Taxpayers.
As the 2nd most populated Ethnic group in Kenya, we are going for that seat. The seat of presidency. Why? Because.. YES WE CAN GET IT. We have the numbers, we have a candidate and YES.. And we have our political party. 2022 is our best chance.
Despite the Luhya nation being the second largest community in Kenya, it’s numerical strength is yet to be felt in the corridors of power in any way. The largest community , kikuyus has produced 3 presidents kalenjins 1 but zero from the Luhya nation. Instead Mulembe nation has been tagged watchmen, cooks, battle ground region etc. History has it that mulembe community has so many well schooled sons and daughters who’ve been first in one area or another.
The big question is: what’s the problem with these mulembe nation?
One would say many things but top on the list are as simple as below:
- They lack unity of purpose. A house divided against itself cannot stand. An un educated son and daughter of mumbi is well knowledgeable in unity of purpose than scholars in mulembe nation. All other communities have used this weakness to exploit mulembe nation.
- They’re good at pulling their own leaders down. Mudavadi and Awori were voted out by their own people when they were sitting Deputy presidents. This can only be said of in a mulembe nation. It’s a taboo in other communities to do the same.
- They hate to promote or defend their own people even when they’re in power and able to. Dr. Lutomia was unconstitutionally sacked from KEMRI in came a guy from another community, CS Echesa was shown the door , ministries were moved around and in came a new Minister in education etc. Sitting MPs, Senators and other elected leaders from mulembe nation behaved as if nothing happened.
Currently mulembe nation has been marginalized such that they only have one CS despite their numerical strength in voting power.
- They’re not principled and fall for anything. It’s not unusual to find a well educated Luhya being hired for pennies to fight his own community.
- They’re either too slow to adopt to political dynamics or just clueless.
Kenyan politics is tribal and that’s an undeniable fact. Mulembe nation thinks they’re playing democracy when reality holds otherwise.
People perish not for lack of degrees but knowledge.
Kalenjins and kikuyus understand this simple but unclear truth in the Luhya nation. If the country is democratic in it’s function why were over 90 % of key appointments shared by only two communities?
WAY FORWARD FOR MULEMBE NATION
- Do not reinvent the wheel, just copy and paste what house of mumbi does. Identify one presidential candidate among yourselves and vote for him/ her alone.
Question: What do you do with other leaders coming in to seek votes from other communities/regions?
Answer: what they’re bringing you is looted money. Take it and use but vote for your own leader in your not that liar(s). They’ve been in power and refused to employ our people or help sustain our industries.
Adopt the policy; Kula kwa hao wote, kura kwa mulembe man for president (MM).
- Register to vote and help everyone around you to register as a voter.
- On the election day go to vote and help transport someone who may not be able to walk to the polling station. Halafu chunga kura yako isiibiwe.
- How do we vote for other seats e.g governor, Senate, MPs?
Answer: Charity begins at home. vote the paty of your community leader MM. Let him negotiate for the bigger cake after we’ve all voted for him.
Hata kama ni wazimu ndio ako kwa hiyo party just vote the party and the party is ANC we’ll sort out the rest if any.
Question: What if the best candidate is on that other party?
Answer: Let him/her learn the reality the hard way. Ignore that person and vote for ANC candidate.
That way other communities will not only respect the Luhya nation but allow the Luhya nation to have developments and a bigger share in top government appointments.
Let votes for mulembe nation belongs to mulembe candidate.
Why? Are we tribal? No, we’ve over the years voted for people who’ve since dumped us and only helped their communities.
Leaders are known by their fruits, how they’ve helped appoint their people and take development to their people.
They’ve denied us appointments over the years why should we vote for them?
“Send them away to reap where they’ve sown.”
“Give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s…..
My parting shot to mulembe Nation:
Shenyu ni shenyu.
No parent in his/her right mind rejects their own child and embrace the neighbour’s child. Neither does a child in his/ her right mind reject their own parent and embrace a foreign person.