By Peter Amunga.
Kudos to the doctors Unions and professional Associations for staying put on their demands. Despite threats, intimidation of their officials, bribes, these health workers remained steadfast. And today they are smiling all the way to the bank.
The scenario is not the same for teachers. The two large teacher unions, KNUT and KUPPET do not even see eye to eye. But worse is, that in KNUT, the retired, suspended and those who lose elections quickly regroup, hire hate bloggers, dine with the employer and govt and use all means possible to kill the only registered voice for primary school teachers in Kenya! KNUT
Two contrasting stories this morning in the media will help us understand why doctors are succeeding as teachers remain poverty stricken.
- *HEALH UNION OFFICALS* IN the Doctors union and Members of KMPDU and the Clinical and Nurses Unions have collectively lobbied, threatened, stood together, sang Solidarity songs, boycotted work and in the end ..FORCED government to NEGOTIATE and agree to increase their salaries by upto 500 % plus other benefits like proper comprehensive medical cover, full protection as frontline workers, proper pension schemes and all.
- *SUSPEND, RETIRED AND LOSING KNUT OFFICALS* met in Nyanza yesterday, and instead of talking about teacher issues, they talked of how to remove Sossion from KNUt so that they can get more union dues which they are now not getting. They are sponsored by enemies of teacher progression to fight and kill each other. They even fight the demand by Sossion that GOVT awards teachers a 200 % increment, ESPECIALLY CLASSROOM TEACHERS who badly impacted in the last CBA.
1. THAT Vita vya panzi, furaha ya Kunguru.
2. THAT In the midst of the war among teacher unions and associations, I can comfortably write this morning that despite their noble roles and professions, teachers will remain the least paid. Their insurance cover will remain the most underfunded by govt.
3. THAT ALL PRIMARY SCHOOL CLASSROOM TEACHERS WILL NOT QUALIFY FOR ANY PROMOTION.
4. THAT corruption in recruitment, promotion and posting of teachers WILL continue to rise.
5. THAT Sossion, just like everyone else may have a weakness. But his voice mattered MOST when it comes to negotiating.
Without THAT STRONG voice TEACHERS ARE DOOMED.
I challenge teachers to show me their payslips end of this January 2021 WHEN ALL THE DEDUCTIONS will have been made… . Alafu tuongee afresh.