WHO IS MRS CHUMBA?
Before we subscribe to students narrative of high handedness at Moi Girls Eldoret as a justification for a peaceful demonstration today Feb 17th , the following facts needs to be understood about Mrs Christine Chumba the current chief principal Moi Girls Eldoret.
- Mrs Chumba is a performer. She was dignified Deputy principal of Bahati girls before being promoted to head Moi Tea girls that was little known. She joined Moi Tea in 2006 when the school posted dismall perfomance before leaving the school in 2011 with a mean of 10.+ the school ranking 19th nationally.
- An institution transformer. Besides transforming the discipline and academic culture in Moi Tea, Mrs Chumba was posted to Nakuru Girls high school to transform the institution. True to her personality she shaped the little known national school and left the institution while it had emerged 27th position nationally with a mean of 10.+ competing favorably with their Nakuru boys high school counterparts.
- Disciplinerian. Throughout her career mrs Chumba is known to shape up the girl child to be adorable and sharp girl child of our generation. Besides teaching the 8-4-4 curriculum core values she goes an extra mile to train women who are capable of coping inthe outside world. Those who interacted with her enjoyed her involving learners to learn farm skills in the school. This has made her products to be all rounded scholars. Parents should be careful into being coerced by their children to subscribe to hearsay peddled by a few naughty students.
- Meticulous.She dislikes mediocrity. Wherever she goes she aims at nothing but being the best. All her records in her stations from Bahati, Moi Tea, Nakuru girls to Moi Girls stands tall and all boards of management have applauded her extra ordinary passion for excellence. Thanks giving AGMs have been marked but sheer celebration. Teachers who have taught in her staff remember her for organizing staff motivational trips outside the country through her able leadership. For instance in 2019 under her leadership 333 candidates (99%) joined university via kuccps by posting 21 As, 108 A-s, 93 B+s, 56Bs, 31B-s, 24C+s. She can always go beyond this!
- Prudent manager. In all the top institutions mentioned her physical infrastructure is conspicuous. The ministry of education, labour & infrastructure and even ISO have found her an anormally in her management. The BOMs she has worked with testify her management being interactive. In her over 15 years as a chief principal not even a single institution has ever demonstrated over her leadership style.
These among many others calls for a total examination of the whole demonstration in Moi Gilrs. Learners mentioning issues not directly related to academia should be looked into with precision. We request the teachers alongside the support staff and the BOM to support the principal for the betterment of the institution. The leadership too and the local community need to embrace her fully and never allow any form of politics to get into the prestigous institution.
The author is a lecturer at Machakos TTC, a Uasin Gishu resident and has previously worked under mrs Chumba.